The Community Services Officer (Constable Mike Daze) coordinates and acts as liaison with many programs involving volunteers, the police, and the community. These programs help to educate the public in safety and crime prevention.
One of the Community Services Officer’s responsibilities is education in the schools. The nine Elementary Schools in Owen Sound are visited and students are educated on topics ranging from stranger awareness, traffic & Halloween safety, vandalism, assault, drug abuse, Internet safety, bullying and youth and the law. (see links below)
Schools are just one of the Community Service Officer's responsibilities.
- Liaison with
- Citizens on Patrol
- Police Community Office (Heritage Place Mall)
- Student Team on Patrol
- Citizens on Patrol Program
- Senior Groups
Crime Prevention & Safety
The links below are to information for helping to prevent crime and protect yourself.
- Home Safety
- Internet Awareness
- Pedestrian Safety
- Boating Safety
- Child Car Seats
- Child Safety
- Fraud (Tips for seniors and all of us!)
- Stop and Lock Program
- Bicycle Registration
These presentations are currently available to groups in Owen Sound.
- Frauds & Scams
- Drive Wise
- Internet Safety
- Street Safety
The Community Services Officer is also a participant in various committees:
- Substance Abuse Action Committee (SAAC)
- Law Enforcement Agencies Protecting Seniors (LEAPS)
- Partners in Public Safety (PIPS)
- Parent Norm Committee
- FOCUS Committee
- Anti-Bullying Task Force (Bluewater School Board)
Crime Prevention Links
- CPTED Ontario
- Victim Services of Bruce-Grey & Owen Sound - A free and confidential service that offers emotional support and practical assistance to those affected by crime or tragic circumstance. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.
- Canadian Crime Prevention Centre
- Crimestoppers of Grey-Bruce
- DARE - Drug Abuse Resistance Education
- Neighbours, Friends and Families - Neighbours, Friends and Families is a public education campaign to raise awareness of the signs of woman abuse so that those close to an at-risk woman or an abusive man can help.
- Phone Busters - The Canadian Anti-Fraud call centre