What is the C.O.P. Program?
Composed of members of the Owen Sound and area community who believe that safety and good order of our community is NOT the SOLE responsibility of the Police Service, but is, in fact, a responsibility to be shared in a partnership with interested community members along with the Owen Sound Police Service. This volunteer program exemplifies the Owen Sound Police Service’s motto;
Background of C.O.P.
- Members have been active in Owen Sound since 1993
- Our volunteers work in partnership with the Owen Sound Police Service and the business community
- C.O.P.’s purpose is to reduce crime by being an extra set of eyes and ears for the Police Service
- C.O.P. volunteers work in pairs, using private vehicles to patrol the community
- C.O.P. volunteers are equipped with police radios and are in constant contact with the communications center
The Owen Sound Citizens on Patrol is a volunteer civilian organization which operates in cooperation with the Owen Sound Police Service to reduce crime and acts of vandalism within the City of Owen Sound. In personal unmarked vehicles, members conduct random patrols of public buildings, schools, downtown core, and areas which have been identified by the Owen Sound Police Service as highly incident prone. Members report any observed incidents to the Police.
- Men and women must be at least 19 years of age. Seniors are welcome to join
- Take a sworn oath of confidentiality
- Possess a valid Ontario’s Driver’s Licence “Class G” (no more than 6 demerit points) or non-licensed & willing to accompany a licensed C.O.P. member.
- Be of good moral character and habits
- Have no criminal conviction(s) for which a pardon has not been granted
- Be willing and capable of working as an effective member
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in a minimum of 5 hours of duty each month
- Attend a monthly meeting scheduled at the Owen Sound Police Service.
- During patrols keep records as required
- Patrol from 9:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Thursday, Friday or Saturday
Contact: Sgt. Ted Kitto
Owen Sound Police Services
Phone: 519-376-1234 Ext.148