The Owen Sound Police Service KIDS program has been designed to target the subject areas most requested by educators and most needed by youth in our communities, from a policing perspective. The six main subject areas – Youth and the Law, Peer to Peer Relationships, Tobacco, Alcohol and Other Drugs, Online and Social Media Awareness, Bullying and Mental Health Awareness – couldn’t be of greater importance as discussion topics in our classrooms.
SO… What is KIDS?
The acronym KIDS stands for:
- Knowledge – What do our children need to know?
- Issues – What do our children need to talk about?
- Decisions – How do our children make smart choices?
- Support – Where do our children go for help?
Throughout the 10 week program the students learn about a lot of interesting topics and do a lot of fun things like yelling in class so loud that the whole school can hear, seeing and touching a real pig’s lung to learn about the effects of smoking on our bodies, learning about different laws and they watch some pretty cool videos.
Purpose of KIDS:
- To connect police with the kids in the community that we work in
- To reduce victimization by exploring options for help
- To encourage smart decision making and to prevent crime
KIDS Curriculum Includes:
- Youth & The Law
- Peer to Peer Relationships
- Online & Social Media Awareness
- Tobacco, Alcohol & Drug Awareness
- Mental Health Awareness