Skip to main content Skip to footer

Victim Support Services

Am I the victim of a crime?

A victim is a person who has suffered physical or emotional harm, property damage, or economic loss as a result of a crime committed by another person. If a victim has died, or is not able to act on his or her own behalf, the victim may be represented by:

  • The victim's spouse
  • An individual who has lived with the victim as his or her common law partner for at least one year prior to the victim's death
  • A relative or dependent of the victim
  • Anyone who has custody of the victim or the victim's dependent


No person who has been charged in relation to the incident may act on behalf of a victim. 

After a crime has been committed, a victim has rights to information, protection, participation and restitution under the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights

In April 2015, the federal government passed Bill C-32, the Victims Bill of Rights Act.  This law made a number of changes to the Corrections and Conditional Release Act. Victims can:

  • Receive information from the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) about an offender's correctional plan and progress toward meeting the objectives of the plan;
  • Have CSC provide access to a photograph of the offender prior to certain releases into the community; and
  • Request access from the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) to listen to an audio recording of a parole hearing if unable to attend in person

CSC and PBC have modernized how registered victims can access information. The Victim's Portal is a secure website where registered victims may obtain information about the federal offenders who harmed them.  Victims may use the portal in addition to, or instead of, the current methods of communication by phone and mail.  The portal will also allow registered victims to manage their information and preferences online.

Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth

In partnership with emergency services, community agencies and the people we serve, Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth helps victims of crime and tragic circumstance, develops partnerships designed to enhance support to victims, and educates and promotes awareness regarding victimization.

To learn more, see Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth | Ontario ( or call 866-376-9852

Victim/Witness Assistance Program (V/WAP)

V/WAP provides information and assistance to support participation in the criminal court process. Services begin once police have laid charges and continue until the court case is over. Provided is case-specific information (court dates, bail conditions), court preparation, needs assessment, emotional support, crisis intervention and referrals to community agencies.

This program applies to victims and witnesses of intimate partner abuse/domestic violence, child physical and sexual abuse, sexual assault (including historical sexual assault and human trafficking), families of homicide victims, families of motor vehicle fatalities, elderly victims, victims with disabilities, victims of hate crime.

To learn more, see Ontario. Ministry of the Attorney General, Victim / Witness Assistance Program, Owen Sound - 611 9th Ave E ( or call 1-866-259-4823, 519-376-8927 (519-376-VWAP)

Subscribe for notifications from Owen Sound Police Service

Stay up to date on our general news, alerts, current job opportunities, and events by subscribing to OSPS notifications.

You will receive an email from and must then confirm in the email reply to complete the subscription.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.